#RooibosRecipe: Velvet Butternut Soup by Carmen Niehaus
Sweet potato added to this Velvet Butternut Soup gives it a slightly sweet taste that works beautifully with the hint of orange and curry.
Makes about 3,5.3 quarts of soup
Preparation time; 10 min
Cooking time: 45 min
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic crushed oil
- 1 tbsp roasted masala spice
- 1000 grams butternut chunks
- 3¾ cups sweet potato chunks
- 1 grated apple
- 8⅓ cups plus 2 tbsp Carmién rooibos tea made with 8 tea bags
- 2 chicken stock pods
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Big handful of chopped coriander
- Scoop creamy yoghurt or coriander pesto to serve (optional)
- Fry onion and garlic in heated oil till soft. Add the masala and mix well.
- Add the butternut, sweet potato, strained rooibos tea, and stock pods and bring to the boil.
- Cook till the vegetables are soft. Add the tomato paste, season with salt and pepper and add a hand full of chopped coriander. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Blend with a stick blender till smooth.
- Spoon into soup bowls and garnish with yoghurt, pesto and coriander sprigs.