Product of Origin (GI)
All Carmién Tea Products are made with Rooibos Tea, which means "Red Bush" in Afrikaans, and is unique to the Western Cape Region of South Africa.
- Carmién Tea supplies rooibos tea directly from the farm in South Africa as we are based in the unique region (60 000 ha) which is the only place in the world where rooibos tea can be grown. This offers our customers full traceability from cup to crop.
In May 2021 Rooibos became the first African food to receive the status of geographical indication (GIs), Regulation (EU)No 1151/2012, granting it the Protected Designation of Origin (PDO). View the certificate here.
- 16 regions within the Western and Northern Cape of South Africa are the only regions where Rooibos can be grown and be called Rooibos Tea.
- Our Carmién Rooibos tea farms are spread across these areas and together with our long-term contracted producers, we are ensured to obtain Rooibos from all the different specified regions. View Carmién's Declaration of Guarantee.
- Carmién Tea is therefore not only another rooibos brand, but we are the producer, the processor, the packer and the exporter. We are one of the biggest (if not the biggest) rooibos tea brands that is also the producer/processor/marketer and that can offer our client this direct link to the plant. This enables us to offer our full commitment to sustainable farming, job creation and improving the lives of farm workers who are also shareholders of our rooibos factory. With our feet on the ground, we are committed to producing and processing a product of high quality according to international food safety regulations with a special focus on flavour and taste.
- At Carmién Tea we have an internally qualified and experienced quality and product development team. This allows us to stay ahead of competition when it comes to innovation. We have by far the largest selection of rooibos tea productsand aim to offer our clients a variety of products with specific health and functional benefitsfor every stage of their lives. We not only aim to offer clients more than a cup of tea, but a unique rooibos experience to support a healthy lifestyle!
- Together with our efforts to ensure sustainable farming practises, Carmién tea is committed to the environment, and offer eco-friendly packaging solutions e.g. compostable teabags.
- Apart from Carmién’s presence in South African retailers, we already have an established footprint internationally with retail listings like Costco Japan, Taiwan and several private label and bulk clients globally. In the Eastern markets our best sellers include Organic Natural Fermented Rooibos and Green Unfermented Rooibos Tea which has even higher anti-oxidants than normal rooibos tea and, in some cases even higher than traditional Green tea, already well-known in the East.
Carmién Natural Rooibos Flavour Profile
- Our Natural Rooibos has a delicate balance of sweetness on the nose, slight astringency and a full smooth mouthfeel. The sweet notes of rooibos increase over time and is often described as fruity and caramel in taste.
- Our Green Rooibos is more astringent with some caramel notes and a smooth mouthfeel.
- Both Red and Green Rooibos are a good flavour match for the umami Asian Food flavours. Our Carmién Teas are excellent enjoyed with food and wine to unlock the palate and open-up the taste buds.
- Our Rooibos is prepared with boiling water and cooled down to 60 degrees Celsius for best flavour. It can also be cooled down completely and served as an ice tea.
- Our Red Rooibos has a clear red cup infusion while our Green Rooibos has a light cup infusion.
- Our Cold brew rooibos is prepared with cold water and steeped for 10 minutes or more for best flavour and is a convenient “On-The-Go drink”.
Carmién Health Benefits
- Our Carmién Rooibos blends are our “distinctive trademark” offering our customer more health and active ingredients together with good flavour in each cup of tea. Great care, plus focus on latest research, is spent to continuously offer innovative and tasty new herb and spicy tea combinations.
- Our rooibos is steam pasteurized to ensure a high quality hygienic product
- Our Carmién Rooibos blends are naturally caffeine free, high in anti-oxidants and mineral content and therefore an excellent drink to keep you hydrated throughout your day.
Rooibos Health Properties
- Rooibos is naturally caffeine free (unlike black & green tea)
- Kilojoule & preservative free and supports weight-loss
- Reduces high blood sugar levels, preventing diabetes type 2
- Has proven cancer-fighting properties in animal research studies
- Rooibos is a good source of antioxidants and is the only known source of a potent antioxidant aspalathin, which could play a role in combating several lifestyle diseases.
- These antioxidants bind with free radicals to lower oxidative stress, combatting cholesterol, high blood pressure and heart diseases.
- Alleviates allergies – asthma, hay fever, eczema
- Low in tannin and doesn’t interfere with iron absorption
- Excellent for hyperactive children, babies from 6 months old can consume rooibos tea
- A naturally relaxing drink at night to assist with a good night’s sleep as it is soothing on the nervous system
- Stomach and indigestion problems like nausea, vomiting, heartburn, stomach ulcers and constipation are relieved by drinking black rooibos tea
- Anti-spasmodic, alleviates colic and stomach cramps in babies
- Soothing effect on the skin, relieving itching and certain skin irritations like eczema, nappy rash and acne when directly applied to the affected area.
- Latest research indicates that application of rooibos on the skin after sunburn, can prevent permanent damage to the skin.