GRILLED FRUIT SALAD WITH COCONUT CUSTARD
This is a wonderful way of ending a meal – tasty but not too sweet nor too heavy as baked puddings tend to be. The Carmién Mocha (coffee) rooibos tea syrup gives an interesting twist to the grilled fruit. The coconut custard is made with Carmién’s Cookies & Cream rooibos tea mix which has real coconut added to it. Yummy and it works beautifully with the fruit.
variety of winter fruits eg Cara-Cara oranges, naartjies, guava, Sharon fruit, sliced
1 pineapple, unpeeled and sliced in wedges
passion fruit pulp
500 ml (2 c) Carmién Vanilla Mocha Rooibos tea, made with 4-6 teabags
80 ml (1/3 c) honey or to taste
500 ml (2 c) milk
4-6 teabags Carmién Cookies & Cream Rooibos
2 egg yolks
12 ml (2 heaped t) corn flour
10 ml (2 t) brandy (optional)
5-10 ml (1-2 t) sugar to taste
pinch of salt
1. Drizzle the fruit with some honey and grill the fruit on a grid over medium-high heat until it has some brown spots. Cut into smaller pieces, arrange on a serving platter and spoon over the passion fruit pulp.
2. In a saucepan mix together the rooibos tea and 80 ml honey. Bring to the boil and reduce by half. Pour over the fruit.
1. Infuse the milk with Cookies & Cream rooibos. Remove bags.
2. Mix together the egg yolks, cornflour, brandy, sugar and salt. Add some of the milk to the cornflour mixture and mix to form a smooth paste.
3. Slowly add rest of the milk. Return to the heat and bring to the boil over low heat while stirring continuously.
HINT: Also make a custard with Carmién’s Vanilla Mocha Rooibos. Just as good!