180 ml (3/4 c) sugar
250 ml (1 c) strong Carmien Creamy Vanilla Rooibos (3 bags)
15—30 ml rose-water
CRUST & TOPPING
200 g mixed nuts, chopped
3 ml cinnamon
Sprinkling of sugar
4 sheets phyllo pastry
3 tubs (230 g each) smooth cottage cheese, creamed cottage cheese and/or cream cheese
25 ml (5 t) cornflour
Juice and rind of 1 lemon
3 extra-large eggs
2 egg yolks
160 ml (2/3 c) sugar
Pinch of salt
5 ml (1 t) vanilla essence
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C Grease a 23 cm springform pan.
2. SYRUP Place all the ingredients for the syrup in a saucepan except the rose-water, bring to the boil and cook till syrupy, about 10 minutes. Keep aside.
3. CRUST & TOPPING Mix together all the ingredients for the crust & topping except the pastry and butter.
4. Brush each sheet of phyllo pastry with butter. Sprinkle some of the nut mixture over each layer and place on top of each other.
5. Line the springform-tin with the pastry, do not neaten the edges.
6. FILLING Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix till smooth. Spoon into the prepared crust.
7. Swirl about about 30 ml (6 t) of the syrup over the cheese mixture, do not mix in. 7 Bake for about 1 hour till just done, but still slightly wobbly in the middle.
8Turn off the temperature, slightly open the door and let the cake cool down in the oven.
9. Refrigerate till needed.
10. Sprinkle the leftover nuts over the cheese cake just before serving and pour over some of the syrup. Arrange the cherries on top and serve the rest of the syrup on the side.