HOLIDAY BEEF ROAST
MARINADE, 10 cloves garlic, peeled, 45 ml (3 T) chopped rosemary, 15 ml (1 T) olive oil, 15 ml (1 T) red wine vinegar, Pepper to taste
10 cloves garlic, peeled
45 ml (3 T) chopped rosemary
15 ml (1 T) olive oil
15 ml (1 T) red wine vinegar
Pepper to taste
2 kg beef brisket
Salt and pepper to taste
45 ml (3 T) olive oil
1 onion, coarsely chopped
10 shallots (or 5 onions), peeled
500 ml (2 c) red wine
750 ml (3 c) Carmien green honeybush & mint rooibos tea OR camomile rooibos tea
5 ml (1 t) sugar
1. Place all the ingredients in a food processor and process till coarsely chopped.
2. Make several incisions in the meat and rub the marinade all over the meat and into the incisions as well. Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate overnight or up to two days.
3. Remove the meat from the fridge and leave at room temperature. Place in a casserole dish, season with salt and pepper.
4. Preheat the oven to 140°C.
5. Heat some oil and fry the onions and or shallots till soft. Add the wine, tea and sugar and bring to the boil.
6. Pour over the meat, cover and cook for about 4 hours or until soft. Remove the lid, turn up the temperature to 180°C and roast till nicely browned.
7. Place the piece of meat onto a serving platter and rest in the warming drawer for at least 10 minutes before carving.
8. Reduce the pan juices on a stove plate, adding more sugar to taste if needed. Thicken the gravy with some corn flour mixed with a little water to make a paste.
9. Serve the gravy with the meat.