- 42 fl oz white bread flour
- ¼ fl oz sugar
- ¼ fl oz salt
- 1 sachet of instant yeast
- 16¾ fl oz luke-warm Carmién Rooibos tea
- Olive oil
- Maize meal for dusting
- Chopped herbs
- Poppy seed, sesame seed
- Mozzarella cheese
- Cream cheese with black olives mixed in
- Tomato salsa (see recipe)
CHOPPED TOMATO SALAD
- 1½–2 fl oz sundried tomatoes
- 6 fl oz Carmién Rooibos tea
- ¼ teaspoon each cumin
- juice and grated rind of 1 lemon
- 2–2¾ fl oz olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 lb 3¼ oz cherry tomatoes
- ½ chopped each red and brown onion
- 1 diced red pepper seeded and
- 1 oz mixed chopped basil and/or coriander
- 2 oz chopped pistachio nuts or toasted pumpkin seeds
Preheat the oven to 446°F. Place a few baking sheets upside down in the oven to heat up.
- Mix together the flour, sugar, salt and instant yeast in the bowl of a food processor. Process slowly to mix all the dry ingredients, keep the engine working, then slowly add the rooibos tea through the spout of the machine and process for about 7—10 minutes until a soft, slightly sticky dough is formed which is clinging onto the blade of the food processor.
- Remove from the food processor, form in a ball, smear with olive oil, cover and let rise until double in size.
- Divide the dough into 8-20 pieces, then roll out super thin on a floured surface.
- Sprinkle the heated baking sheets with some mealie-meal and arrange the flatbreads on top (there is no need to rise the bread again.) Place the baking sheets as close as possible to the bottom element and bake for 7 minutes till done and with some brown speckles on top.
- Add some chopped herbs like parsley or oregano to the dough OR add a handful of seeds.
- Sprinkle the bread with some mozzarella cheese just after it is baked and place it under the grill until the cheese is melted.
- Serve luke-warm.
- Soak the sundried tomatoes in the warm rooibos tea till soft.
- Process together with the rest of the ingredients in a food processor till smooth. Also, add any leftover tea.
- Mix the vegetables and herbs in a large dish.
- Mix in some of the vinaigrette and spoon it into a bowl.
- Sprinkle the nuts on top just before serving.
- Serve with the flatbreads and leftover vinaigrette.