5 eggs, separated
250 ml (1 c) castor sugar
500 ml (2 c) desiccated coconut
60 ml (1/4 c) ground walnuts
CHOCOLATE MOUSSE LAYER
500 ml (2 c) cream
60 ml (1/4 c) Carmien cookies & Cream rooibos tea
300 g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
45 ml (3 T) sugar
Toasted coconut flakes or chocolate shavings
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a 20 cm loose-bottom cake tin.
1. Beat the egg yolks and sugar until pale yellow.
2. Fold in the coconut and walnuts.
3. Beat the egg whites till soft peaks form and gently fold into the egg yolk mix. Spoon into the prepared cake tin and bake for 25 min until the meringue is dry but not brown. Set aside to cool
1. Add the rooibos tea to the cream and slowly heat till warm. Do not boil. Remove from the heat and leave to infuse and cool down, then strain.
2. Melt the chocolate in the microwave oven for half a minute, stir and microwave till melted, stir every half a minute. Otherwise place the chocolate in a glass bowl over a pot of boiling water, making sure that the water does not touch the bowl and heat until the chocolate is melted, stir every now and then.
3. Beat the cream with the sugar until thick. Mix half of the cream with the melted chocolate and spoon onto the cooled crust. Place in the fridge to set.
4. Decorate with blobs of left-over cream and coconut shavings just before serving.