Packaging has certainly not given up on its outward beauty but just like the fashion world, it has little meaning if it there is no inner beauty as well. From an attractive visual presentation, product packaging aims to leave a lasting impression on both customers and clients but as important as these first impressions are, we are fully aware of the increasing drive to reduce the carbon footprint we leave and the importance of transparency in sustainability, all aimed at preserving and protecting our environment.
Climate change is having disastrous effects across the globe, disrupting natural systems, raising sea-levels, forest fires and more. Burning fossil fuels, cutting down forests and farming livestock are increasingly influencing the climate and the earth’s temperature. This adds enormous amounts of greenhouse gases to those naturally occurring in the atmosphere, increasing the greenhouse effect and global warming. 2011-2020 has been the warmest decade recorded with human-induced global warming presently increasing at a rate of 0.2°C per decade.
Plastic pollution is under serious scrutiny as it threatens wildlife and spreads harmful toxins. Haunting images abound of animals caught in plastic bags, or birds trying to feed their young on plastic particles. Paper is still the most sustainable option when it comes to packaging and, as a tea company, one of our main packaging components.
At Carmién Tea we use 100% paper recycled products where possible.
- Our 10kg bulk bags are 4 layered: 3 x 70 micron paper with one layer high density polyethylene (HDP) 10 micron-plastic layer.
- Our tea cartons are manufactured from predominantly recycled fiber. All recyclable outer packaging is FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) certified. This means that for every tree used to provide paper, a new one will be planted which also results in
- Zero deforestation
- Fair wage and work environment
- Biodiversity preservation
- Community rights
“Just as we depend on forests, forests depend on us. At the Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) we unite citizens, businesses, governments, and NGOs under a common goal: protecting healthy, resilient forests for all, forever.”
- Our printing inks comply with environmental protection and consist of materials that are derived from renewable raw materials.
- All Carmién teabags are made from fibre plus plastic free materials that are biodegradable (European standard EN13432) and compostable and consist of biodegradable heat sealable polymeric fibres, abaca and selected cellulose fibres.
- Our bioweb (ultrasonic filter paper) teabags are also biodegradable (European standard EN13432) and compostable consisting of Polylactic Acid ( PLA), a biopolymer made from sustainable/renewable sources of natural corn starch or sugar cane.
- String and tag teabags consist of biodegradable and compostable (European standard EN13432), thread made from polylactide raw materials while the tags are manufactured from paperboard (cellulose with PLA coating).
- Glues used are non-toxic, non-flammable (wet state) and suitable for indirect food contact.
- All tea cartons have a full list of ingredients and nutritional information with disclaimer notices regarding usage to safeguard our customers with complete preparation instructions to show customers the best and newest ways to enjoy our teas/products.