A lot has been said about detox and we get lost in the maze of information out there, so it may be time to just highlight the key reasons why we should detox. Less fad and more fact. Less deprivation more inspiration.
A thoughtfully planned detox gets rid of more than just excess weight. It is an opportunity to heal our bodies on every level. We no longer accept every story as fact, so why not accept that not all that we eat is actually good for our bodies?
- The air we breathe is polluted.
- We do not drink enough/good quality water.
- Foods are grown with antibiotics and hormones; genetically altered and filled with additives.
- Electromagnetic waves are damaging our bio-energy balance.
- Our bodies cannot eliminate all the chemicals used in medicines.
- Stress, inactivity, detergents, cigarettes, alcohol, coffee and black tea all add to the toxic load and our bodies can no longer cope. We may feel fine now but long-term toxic build-ups lead to physical and mental health problems such as chronic tiredness, headaches, sleeplessness, and illnesses.
It’s critical that all of our body organs be healthy and in good order because they work together daily in assisting in clearing toxic overload and cleansing the body. The liver, kidneys, colon, lungs, skin, and lymphatic system in particular are key organs.
Here’s why it is so important to regularly cleanse and detox our bodies:
- Removing toxins – key culprits causing toxic build-up are sugar, preservatives, and processed and refined foods. Science is conclusive that sugar and flour are biologically addictive.
- First, they trigger addiction and overeating.
- Second, they spike insulin and inflammation, which makes you store belly fat and blocks your ability to feel full.
- Sugar is eight times more addictive than cocaine.
- Improved mental clarity, sleep and general well-being. Stress and toxins are known instigators of brain fog and the inability to concentrate.
- Weight loss. As toxins increase, so does body fat.
- Increased energy levels. Lethargy, exhaustion and lack of energy simply show that our bodies are not digesting and absorbing sufficient nutrients from meals, all due to toxic build-up. Detoxing restores energy and vitality, making you feel lighter and more vibrant.
- Healthier skin. The skin is our biggest organ and one of the most important detoxifying organs. Lacklustre, pale skin prone to breakouts will glow again.
- Stronger immune system. With 70-80% of immune cells residing in our gut, detox is critical to boost the immune system and fight off infectious diseases. Now we know why you are what you eat!
Last but not least, you may experience increased sex drive, more motivation and happiness, fewer food cravings, feel more relaxed and rested, and experience less joint pain.
You will automatically reset your body’s neurotransmitters and hormones when you detox correctly. Preferably stop all forms of sugar, all flour products, and all artificial sweeteners. They all cause increased cravings and slow metabolism and lead to fat storage. This especially includes liquid sugar calories, which make you eat more all day and drive storage of belly fat. Ideally, for 10-14 days avoid any foods that come in a box, package or can or have a label, and stick to real, whole, fresh food. And the best way to really detox is to give up all grains for 10-14 days. Give up all drugs, too. Caffeine and alcohol are the two biggest after sugar.
Find a friend or form a small group and do the detox together.