At Carmién Tea we dream, work, measure our progress, and set new goals. Focused leadership and good management ensure that we can prioritise the training and development of our people. We are always striving to improve our efficiency and productivity. In the end, we create wealth and a better future for all. Read on to learn more about our project and initiatives.
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS
• All shareholder farms (Mouton Holdings & Bergendal) are Fairtrade Accredited and do community projects that support communities working and living on the farms.
• Funds are managed by Democratically Elected Workers Committees & Project Suggestions comes from Communities.
• Carmien also supports community development projects in the poor township area of Citrusdal through an organisation called HUG (Help Us Grow).
EDUCATION & YOUTH
• 3 Early Child Development Centers (139 children between the ages of 3 month 5 years)
• 3 Afterschool Clubs (226 school children)
• Holiday Programs
• Facilitators are from local communities. They are supervised and trained by Specialists Teachers from the NPO Pebbles Project.
• Support Youth Groups & Career Club
• Supporting local schools through donations, facilities renovations and transport of school children
• Sponsoring Tertiary Studies for two of our students
HEALTH & NUTRITION
• Free basic health services and subsidised doctor’s visits.
• Full time Nurse Practitioner Mobile Clinic
• 5 Trained Community Health Workers
• On Farm Health Posts (mini clinics)
• Preventative Health Education for Communities
• Screening for HIV / TB and other chronic diseases
• Maternal, Infant Care and Immunisations
• See a reduction in absenteeism and work efficiency
• Nutrition programmes in education centres
• Youth educational sessions providing information on HIV/AIDS and sexually transmitted diseases
• Life Skills: Personal Finance, Substance Abuse, Cross Cultural Language Skills, Parenting, Community Leadership, Health Awareness, Literacy Classes, Computer Training
• Capacity Building: Technical, Personal Hygiene, Workplace Safety, Advanced Management, Chemical Handling, First Aid, Committee Training
• Shareholding: Basic Business Principals, Leadership, Public Communication Skills
• Bergendal Rooibos: 50% Worker Ownership in Rooibos Processing Facility with 148 Beneficiaries
• Mgro Trust: 12.5% Ownership in Mouton Holdings (main shareholder in Carmien), all permanent employees (+401)
• Annual dividends ensure direct and effective economic empowerment through rooibos sales