GREEN ROOIBOS AND HEALTH
The worldwide popularity of Rooibos is not only due to its unique location and sweet taste, but its multiple proven benefits. Green Rooibos has a higher polyphenol content and therefore higher antioxidant levels than fermented Rooibos tea.
The antioxidants in Green Rooibos are potent enough to measurably elevate antioxidant levels in the blood, thereby boosting the body’s internal defence systems against disease. The effect peaks about one hour after drinking 500ml Green Rooibos tea. Drink up to six cups of Green Rooibos or Rooibos a day with an increased steeping time of min 10min for an optimum cup containing the maximum polyphenol content and total antioxidant capacity (TAC). The antioxidant content of Green Rooibos also depends on the soil conditions of the region where the plant was grown, and on how the infusion was prepared, i.e. ratio of leaves to water, the temperature of the water, extraction time, stirring, etcetera. Read more about this research here.
GREEN ROOIBOS VS CANCER, HEART DISEASE, AND MORE
1. Green Rooibos slows down the development of cancerous skin lesions.
2. The complex mixture of polyphenols in Green Rooibos may help protect against free radicals. Free radicals are unstable molecules that can damage the DNA in cells, leading to cancer.
3. These free radicals can also oxidize cholesterol, leading to clogged blood vessels, heart attacks, and strokes. The antioxidants in Green Rooibos can neutralize these free radicals and help to limit their impact. Read more about these studies here and here.
4. Studies have shown that Green Rooibos increases the antioxidant status of rat livers. This could result in Green Rooibos being used in the treatment of chronic liver disease. Based on recent research done in the Slovak Republic, this research team recommends Green Rooibos for people with chronic liver problems.
5. Green Rooibos protects the brains of aged rats against oxidative damage. This could play a role in the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease.
6. Many of these findings require more research before specific recommendations about the use of Green Rooibos can be made, and therefore several research groups around the world are currently working on Green Rooibos.
MORE GREEN ROOIBOS HEALTH BENEFITS
1. Green Rooibos is naturally caffeine-free (no decaffeination required).
2. Green Rooibos is low in tannin.
3. No negative effects of Green Rooibos have ever been recorded.
4. Many report that Green Rooibos relieves allergies, sleep disorders, digestive problems, and headaches. These claims, however, are not yet supported by scientific research.
5. Physicians often (especially in South Africa) recommend Green Rooibos to soothe infant colic, but no formal studies have been done on this.
6. Green Rooibos is also great for those who want to avoid the stimulating effects of caffeine, especially late at night. Because of its zero-caffeine content, Green Rooibos is also suitable for babies and infants, as well as breastfeeding mothers.
7. Green Rooibos is suitable as a fluid and electrolyte replacement for athletes.
Read more about rooibos research on the South African Rooibos Council website.